Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mitch Hedburg Dies....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Mitch Hedburg Dies....

    I know that Stripes was a fan and thought some of you others may be interested. Since this article it was confermed that he died of a heroin overdose. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

    Comedian Mitch Hedberg dies at age 37
    Associated Press

    MBM
    ST. PAUL -- Mitch Hedberg, a Minnesota-born comedian who worked in nightclubs, college campuses, television and film in a wide-ranging career, and who struggled with drugs and alcohol, died in New Jersey, his family said. He was 37.

    Hedberg died Wednesday in a hotel room in Livingston, N.J. Pending the medical examiner's report, the cause of death appears to be heart failure, said his mother, Mary Hedberg. She said her son was born with a heart defect and frequently felt anxious about his condition.

    Mary Hedberg said speculation that her son's death was drug-related was gossip.

    "We don't know that for a fact," she said, but added, "it's not a secret Mitch used drugs. Whether that played a role in his death or not, we don't know."

    Jokes about Hedberg's drug use were a staple of his act and he took a hiatus from performing for several months after a May 2003 arrest in Austin, Texas, for felony possession of heroin.

    Hedberg was born in St. Paul. After graduating from Harding High School, he rose through the ranks at Minneapolis' Acme Comedy Co. and caught his big break through a Comedy Central special.

    Hedberg's one-liners, dished off in a spacy staccato, were based on absurdist, random observations. His long, dirty blond hair harkened to the image of a 1970s stoner.

    A hit on "The Late Show With David Letterman," on which he appeared 10 times, and "The Howard Stern Show," Hedberg once was dubbed "the next Seinfeld" by Time magazine. But TV-series fame eluded him because his unique style of mumbled one-liners didn't lend itself to the sitcom format. His rambling, non-sequitur style often drew comparisons to Steven Wright, but Hedberg disagreed.

    "If I made potato chips and put them in a can, people would say I was ripping off Pringles," he said. "But what if I put them in a bag?"

    Hedberg had two popular comedy CDs, "Strategic Grill Locations" and "Mitch All Together." He acted in the movie "Almost Famous" -- smoking fake pot with Peter Frampton -- and appeared on Fox's hit series "That '70s Show."

    Drawing on kitchen jobs he held before becoming a performer, he wrote, directed, produced and acted in the slacker comedy "Los Enchiladas," filmed at St. Paul's Boca Chica restaurant and the Maplewood Mall. The film was featured at the 1999 Sundance Film Festival.

    Hedberg was held in high regard among his peers.

    "He was the greatest comedian ever," said his close friend, Doug Stanhope of cable TV's "The Man Show," who recently opened for Hedberg.

    He is survived by his wife, comedian Lynn Shawcroft, his father and mother, Arne and Mary Hedberg of St. Paul, and sisters Wendy Brown of Woodbury and Angie Anderson of South St. Paul.

    Visitation was scheduled for Monday at Woodbury Funeral Chapel in Woodbury, with funeral services Tuesday at St. Ambrose Catholic Church in Woodbury. Burial will be private.

    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mitch Hedburg Dies....

    I meant to post that to you a couple of days ago lung. I was listening to Sirius Raw Dog coming to work the other day and heard about it. He was great, and unique comic. Unforunately, drug use may have played a factor in his short life.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #3
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Mitch Hedburg Dies....

    He was awesome, I loved his skit about Smoky The Bear and Why it should be a frog.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Jamie_Madrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2005
    Posts
    383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mitch Hedburg Dies....

    yeah that was sad i loved him he was funny
    Can you keep a secret? Well I'm afraid of the world because they want me to die, can you believe it?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mitch Hedburg Dies....

    Yep. They've said now that it was a heroin overdose.

    "My apartment is infested with koala bears. It's the cutest infestation I've ever seen. Koala bear's are so cute. Why do they have to live so far away from me? I'd be like come here and I'll pet your head....and feed you a leaf."
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mitch Hedburg Dies....

    I hadnt seen that, but it doesnt surprise me. He will be missed in the Comedy Society.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 7_32's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2002
    Posts
    242
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Mitch Hedburg Dies....

    I posted something about Mitch awhile back and didn't get much response...but he was and is the absolute funniest comedian I have ever heard. I don't know about anyone else, but I'll miss the guy....it's just a shame that drugs had to be a part of his life, even though by listening to him it was really no surprise...

    "If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable. "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •